Monday, March 26, 2018

It's Me!!!! (Sara Bareilles)

I just overheard someone saying they wanted Sara Bareilles as Elphaba for the Wicked movie and this is a casting choice that I could actually get behind. I'm not too familiar with Bareilles and her work, but I'm sure the more she inches her way into the theatre community I'll become a fan. SIDE NOTE: Overall, I am very concerned about how this Wicked movie will go. The way this show is written is just so incredibly stagey. From the script to the score to many of the special effects (I.E. flying elements). "Defying Gravity" is the most well-known song in that gorgeous score, but the way it was pulled off is completely stage magic and will be really difficult to translate to the screen without it looking very cheesy and cartoony. Anyway, back to the casting element. I could probably get behind Bareilles as Elphaba, and again as previously stated I'm not too familiar with her, but, from what I do know about her she works hard and commits to any project she is given. I know she worked her a*s off when composing the music for Waitress and I've heard nothing but great things about her when she took over the role of Jenna. From what I have heard of her voice it is top notch and very strong, yet unique. I can not yet comment on her acting skills, but I will be able to when I watch Jesus Christ Superstar Live! Now while I do think Bareilles is a bit old to do the part (She'll be 40 by the time the film is released) I think she'd be a much better option than others... *COUGH* *COUGH* Lea Michele *COUGH* *COUGH* and Bareilles would again work her a*s off in this role and not do a carbon copy performance of Elphaba like others would... *COUGH* *COUGH* Lea Michele *COUGH* *COUGH* So it would be a yes from me for Bareilles as Elphie, although we all know that it will most likely be Anna Kendrick. (I do love Kendrick, but she is such an obvious choice for the role that it's almost too easy for her to do it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment