Monday, June 25, 2018

To Cats or Not to Cats

Okay, so I've been well aware that a Cats movie has been in the works for a while now and I'm bored and figured I would share my opinion on this... WHY?!?!? When I was a little kid I would spend the afternoons at my Grandparents house and one day my Grandma had with
her the 1998 movie (On VHS) of Cats and I had never been so blown away by a show before. I became obsessed. I watched it so much that I ended up distorting the tapes. I eventually got the DVD and I watched that so much that the sound became distorted. Here is my question why do we have to remake when this TV Movie was literally perfect one every level? Costumes=Gorgeous, Set=Gorgeous, Lighting=Gorgeous, Dancing=Gorgeous, Vocals=Gorgeous and don't even get me started on the cast. It featured an all-star cast which includes Elaine Paige, Rosemarie Ford, Jonathan Partridge, Michael GruberSir John MillsSusan Jane Tanner and Ken Page along with many others. Everyone in this cast is absolutely amazing and they delivered rock star vocals. The creative team brought the best and the brightest from Cats cast members all over the world to play these roles. I think everyone was just absolutely perfect and I have never found a production that lived up to the 1998 movie. Now, the main reason that I believe Cats was
a huge success was because of Gillian Lynne's fantastic (and very erotic) choreography and that is why I refused to see the 2016 Broadway Revival because they brought Andy Blankenbuehler who absolutely ruined the choreography (in my opinion at least.) I didn't understand that because every single professional production of cats used Lynne's choreography except for the 2016 Broadway Revival. This brings us back to the movie which is NOT going to be choreographed by Gillian Lynne, but by Wayne McGregor. Again, I do not understand this because when you look at McGregor's background it's mostly ballet. This, to me, doesn't make much sense because Cats needs a choreographer with vast amounts of experience and someone with knowledge not only in ballet but also jazz, tap, and modern dances. What I also find weird is why for the second time are they replacing Lynne with a man? I'm not trying to call the producers sexist, but there are so many women choreographers out there who are underrated and would bring fresh and interesting takes to this show (Mainly talking about Fatima Robinson of The Wiz Live! or Camille A. Brown of Once On This Island
Besides the choreography, Andrew Lloyd Webber is writing new songs... Including one for the role of Victoria, which to me doesn't make any sense because Victoria is a dancing role and she has the beautiful solo dance at the beginning and does she really need her own song? I'm just confused as to why this is happening and more importantly why this needs to happen. I mean come on Andrew seriously? Instead of making a new movie why not just release the already amazing one in theatres for a limited time? Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna see it because Cats is an extremely guilty pleasure of mine, but also no matter how it's done this movie is going to be weird. (The only thing that could make it any weirder is if Joel Schumacher directed it.) Therefore, I have to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment