Saturday, January 19, 2019

Run and Tell That: Wicked

Note: This review is going to be a little different. It's not going to be as long and detailed as previous ones. Also, again I'm horrible at editing my thoughts.
"Johnson's performance as Glinda the Good is not only a triumph in shattering racial barriers it is a triumph in acting and skill."
My first experience with Wicked was when I was in the 5th grade. It was my first Broadway show (meaning the first time I saw I show on Broadway) and I saw it with the amazing Dee Roscioli and Katie Rose Clarke in the lead roles. It was absolutely amazing and an experience I will never forget. Even if it was a "no-fly" show. My next experience with Wicked was winning the lottery for the tour when it was in Philadelphia and starred Jessica Vosk and Ginna Claire Mason. I knew my next experience with Wicked had to be seeing Brittney Johnson as the first P.O.C. Glinda on Broadway. My wish finally came true and I planned out my day for January 10, 2019. I went to NYC to witness her debut as the blonde witch. First and foremost I have to say that Joe Mantello is a brilliant director and has directed an absolutely gorgeous production. The design aspects are absolutely brilliant. Featuring some wonderful sound design by Tony Meola and the absolutely
Nancy Opel
brilliant and inventive costume designs by Susan Hilferty. The world of Oz is created by the genius Eugene Lee and his utterly spellbinding set design and when paired with Kenneth Posner's lighting design you get the most brilliant designs ever to grace a stage. The cast has strong supporting roles from the fantastic Jamie Jackson as Doctor Dillamond and the wonderful Jesse "JP" Johnson as Boq. This was my second time seeing Kristen Martin as the "tragically beautiful" Nessarose and to be quite honest she had more depth the first time I saw her. Then we have the brilliant Nancy Opel as the devious Madame Morrible who was absolutely wonderful. Then in an amazing turn as The Wizard there is 3 time Tony Award nominated actor Kevin Chamberlin who seems to be the first Wizard in many years who can actually sing. It was a refreshing change because most Wizard's I have witnessed in the past did have that great a voice. Chamberlin delivered a wonderful performance with great acting chops and again a wonderful, rich singing voice. Another good performance was Jake Boyd as Fiyero who is a temporary replacement for Ryan McCartan who is on medical leave. The next woman I am going to talk about is the reason I went to
Brittney Johnson
see Wicked and she made history. Over the years there have been several people of color in the roles of Elphaba, Fiyero, Madame Morrible, The Wizard, Dr. Dillamond, Boq and Nessarose, but there has never been a P.O.C. as Glinda and after 15 years Wicked has finally cast its first P.O.C. Glinda. On January 10th, 2019 Brittney Johnson debuted as Glinda and she was mesmerizing. Johnson's performance as Glinda the Good is not only a triumph in shattering racial barriers it is a triumph in acting and skill. Johnson gave a performance that proves why understudies should not be scoffed at and should definitely not be underestimated. The moment that Johnson descended in the bubble for her very first entrance she received 30 seconds of straight applause, cheering, hollering, yelling and whistles. You could see the joy on her face and the minute she opened her mouth the room fell silent and people were hung up on every single word. Johnson's vocals were top notch and strong and because she had classical training she had this gorgeous rich operatic tone during the soprano parts. Not only were her vocals top notch, but so was her acting she p
ortrayed Glinda in a new light finding humor and sadness in new places. I had three favorite parts of her performance 1) Was during her hilarious "Popular" Glinda says "Your whole life is about to change and all because of me"
Brittney Johnson and Jessica Vosk
and Johnson started to go into a trance and bow as if envisioning an audience applauding for being so nice. 2) D
uring the train station scene where she says "Well it's Glinda now!" 3) During "Thank Goodness" after Fiyero leaves during that scene you can see that Glinda is holding back tears and she is trying to stay strong, but she misses her best friend and she feels Fiyero slipping away from her. I have no doubt in my mind that Brittney Johnson will become principle one day. She is truly magical. I could go on and on about Johnson's absolutely stellar performance, but I have to keep this review moving. The only person left to talk about is the stunning Jessica Vosk who delivered a vocally stellar performance as Elphaba. Vosk, but her acting was not as good as when I saw her on tour. Wicked has solidified its place in history not only as a record-breaking show but as a diverse show packed full of talent. The performers are top notch and the understudies are just as good as the leads. If you have the chance to see this show then go see it. It is truly magical from the wonderful design elements to the phenomenal performers.
    "I do believe I have been changed for the better. And because I knew you... Because I knew you... Because I knew you... I have been changed for good."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment