Saturday, August 24, 2019

Unexpected Song: Back to Before

Quick Life Update: My life has been crazy so I apologize for not posting a lot. I'm hoping to get my life under control soon and plan on doing a lot of reviews for some upcoming tours I'm seeing! Now onto the post!

I, shockingly, only have had Ragtime in my life for less than a year now. If you don't know what Ragtime is it is this absolutely gorgeous musical that tells the story of 3 different groups of people (Whites, Blacks and Immigrants) during the early 20th Century in America. It is an absolutely gorgeous piece with a book by Terrence McNally and a score by Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens. If you ever have the chance to go see this show then do it. It is gorgeous and I gurantee you it will change your life. My favorite song in this show is the 11 O'clock number "Back to Before" sung by Mother where she examines everything that has happened to her throughout the show and realizes there is no going back. The song is just absolutely exquisite and I wanted to share some of my favorite covers of that song.

Marin Mazzie (Broadway)



Mamie Parris ("Home Again" Mamie's Solo Concert)


Marcie Dodd (No idea where she is)



Maria Friedman (Cardiff Concert)



No comments:

Post a Comment