Thursday, August 17, 2017

To bootleg or not to bootleg?

Ok so I've been asked several times and have heard conversations about bootlegs and people's stances on them so I figure I'll throw my own two cents in...
"Bootlegs aren't bad as long as you don't try to profit from them!"
Here's my thing as long as when you're recording said bootleg you are not distracting the performers or distracting other audience members I don't see the problem. People use the argument "It takes away from tickets sales." For most shows no it doesn't... Shows like Wicked (Which I have 900+ Bootlegs of) has earned over $5 billion dollars worldwide!!! It's only been running for about 14 years! I highly doubt that bootlegs are going to affect ticket sales especially with the movie coming up it will add more revenue to Wicked. Other shows similar to Wicked are The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Chicago. I feel like if anything bootlegs will make people want to see a show even more. Hell when I knew I was going to Europe July of last year I had planned to go to London for a day to see the Miss Saigon revival because of bootlegs and how amazing the cast sounded!!! (However it eventually announced it's closing notice so that dream never happened.) Bootlegs also give a chance for other people to shine in roles. Mainly touring cast members, replacements, understudies, alternates and standbys. There are so many understudies and replacements that I love such as Julia Abueva as Kim (u/s in the 2014 West End Revival of Miss Saigon), Dan'yelle Williamson as Elphaba (u/s in the Chicago production of Wicked) and Dan Domenech as J.D. (u/s in Off-Broadway production of Heathers) so many of these people I never would have heard of and loved in these roles if not for bootlegs. I also don't see what the problem is when the show has closed. For example bootlegs of Bonnie & Clyde, Anything Goes and Sweeney Todd. Watching those bootlegs doesn't hurt anyone because those productions are closed and said productions will never return to Broadway. (To clarify this part the actual show may return, but the production itself and it's elements will most likely not return.) My other major problem that I don't understand is why it's a big deal for pro-shot shows to be on YouTube, Putlocker, etc especially when those shows have never been released on DVD. Those shows being Allegiance, Miss Saigon 25th Pro-Shoot (It's only available in the UK I believe) as well as anything done by "Live From the Lincoln Center" and stuff recorded by BroadwayHD. Okay anyway to wrap this up because I'm losing myself in this mess I don't think bootlegs are bad. However! If you try to profit off bootlegs by making people buy them in order to see them or having them trade or some B.S. you're an $%#@&* and that's not cool! Okay anyway I've said my piece. Thank you all goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment