Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Tony Awards

Ok, I know I've been doing a lot with The Tony's lately, but I'm slowly easing my way back into this so give me some time. I know I have plans to go see Sister Act at Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia this Saturday and I will write a review on that for all of you. Anyway here is who I think should win in what category and a brief explantation why (Or if it's just because it's Hamilton).
*Side note: I am only doing the categories that I am familiar with.*

Best Musical
Winner: Hamilton
Why: It's Hamilton, and as much as I think this show can be a little overrated at times it does deserve this award.

Best Revival of a Play
Winner: A View from the Bridge
Why: Ivo Van Hove's direction of this Arthur Miller classic was visionary and it was a completely new production of the show and I have not heard a bad word about it.

Best Revival of a Musical
Winner: The Color Purple
Why: I know some people say that it will be Spring Awakening, but that show closed and as much as I hate to say it closed shows don't get much Tony love. However I could be wrong on this, but my bets are on The Color Purple

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Winner: Mark Strong for A View from the Bridge
Why: Mark Strong has recieved nothing but rave reviews for his portrayel of Eddie Carbone and he won the Olivier Award for this role so why would he not win the Tony?

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Winner: I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!!
Why: All of these women are so talented! Can they all just have a five way tie?

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical
Winner: Danny Burnstein for Fiddler on the Roof
Why: It's about DAMN time that he won his Tony. This is the mans 6th nomination! If he does not win Mama will have a fit. He is such a great actor and an amazing singer and I know this will be his year!

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical
Winner: Cynthia Erivo for The Color Purple
Why: This woman has pure talent! She is such a beautiful woman and an even more beautiful actress. Her role as Celie in The Color Purple is such a heavy role to play. She not only carries that burden she pushes it up and right through the ceiling of the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre. This woman is a Celie for all times.

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play
Winner: Megan Hilty for Noises Off
Why: Noises Off is a shit storm of a show. (I mean that in a good way.) This show was meant to push actors/actresses to their limits and to test them on a whole new level. Noises Off requires strong comedic skills and even stronger comedic timing. Hilty not only proved she can do all this, but she took her role as Brooke Ashton in a whole different direction then how she is normaly played. Hilty has received rave reviews for her performance and I can not wait to see her win this award.

Best Performance by a Feaured Actor in a Musical
Winner: Daveed Diggs for Hamilton
Why: Daveed is an amazing actor. He has set the bar so high for his portrayels of Marquis de Lafayette / Thomas Jefferson in the smash hit musical Hamilton. He has such great vocal chops as well as a great sense of humor and comedic timing. His rendition of "What'd I Miss" is absolutely amazing and I can't get enough of him!

Best Performance by a Feaured Actress in a Musical
Winner: Renée Elise Goldsberry for Hamilton
Why: The only reason you NEED to go see Hamilton is Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler-Church. Renée brings something new to the stage as Angelica. Hearing her go from "Schuyler Sisters" to "Satisfied" and then to "Take a Break" is amazing. Renée is so incredibley talented and her role is such a pivotal role and she portrays it to perfection if anyone else had been cast in this role the whole dynamic of the show would be off.

Best Original Score
Winner: Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton
Why: Come on this score is perfection.

I'll probably update this list tomorrow maybe? I don't know. I really love feedback and would love to know what you guys think of my blog. What can I do better? What should I try and add? Please let me know. You can always email me at purplepaul99@gmail.com Thank you fellow thespians for your support and for me reaching over 2,000 views for this blog. (For me that's a lot) I just want to say thanks for all your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment