Wednesday, August 10, 2016

RANT

*This is a rant, not a long one, but it's still a rant*
So I'm watching Show People on Youtube as I often do and Lea Salonga is being interviewed in this episode. Lea is talking about how she is a judge on The Voice of the Philippines, Paul Wontorek (The Host) asked her "Do you think you would turn you chair around for Anne Hathaway singing 'I Dreamed a Dream'?" Lea said "No" which was fine she can have her own opinion, but what really bothered me was when she said and I quote
"...It was an acting piece not a singing piece for the film."
Now Lea I have a question for you. Aren't all musical theatre pieces also acting pieces? You have to act while singing a musical theatre piece. Especially a song like "I Dreamed a Dream" you can't just sing "I Dreamed a Dream" you have to act it out. I don't mean you need sets and costumes. I mean you need to add emotion to what you're singing. Otherwise you're just making noise. Now in the movie did Anne Hathaway focus more on the acting of the piece and not the singing yes. But in the movie that song is after Fantine just had sex for money for the first time. She was at the lowest point of her life. Anne Hathaway focused on that. Hathaway didn't focus on making her singing pretty she focused on telling the story. Now theatre on stage and theatre on film are two completely different things I understand that. I just am very irked (urked? erked?) about what Lea said. For musical theatre when you sing a song you are also acting. The two go hand in hand in my opinion.

Here is the interview and you can watch it for yourself if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment