Wednesday, August 24, 2016

ANOTHER RANT!

Ok so we all watch theatre clips online whether they're bootlegs (Don't pretend like none of ya'll have watched a Broadway bootleg. We all have get over it) or if they're promos or an actor/actress singing them in concert. This is what you normally will see in the concerts.
Person 1: YES!!!!
Person 2: BEAUTIFUL!!
Person 3: SLAY MY QUEEN!!
Person 4: He/She's so beautiful!
Person 5: I don't really like how they sang this. (This comment could be something as nice and well put as this and the replies to them are harsh most of the time. For example...)
Person 1: Well your comment is invalid!
Person 3: Shut up you uncultured swine!
Person 6: GET SOME CULTURE. This person is beautiful and more talented than anyone you can name. Stupid.

Now obviously there is a lot more swear words. What I don't understand is why do we have to be this way? We are all here for the same reason we all love theatre! We are all apart of the same fandom. Why do we have to be so negative and cruel towards each other when we are just voicing our opinion. I'm not saying I accept people who are harsh when they share their opinion. I do not condone someone who says "This stupid mf they can't sing for sh*t. They should go die. No one likes them." That I despise. But if someone very nicely says "I don't understand what they were going for in this song." or "I don't think they showed a lot of emotion" or "I don't think their voice is suited for this type of song." comments like that are fine. It is possible to have a nice conversation with another person who has different views then you. For example I was watching a video of Rachelle Ann Go (The current Fantine in Les Miserables in West End, former Gigi of Miss Saigon Revival) singing "I Dreamed a Dream" I saw a comment that stuck out to me. 
Them: She is a bit too shouty for my taste...
Me: When did she shout?
Them: On "shame", "stride" or "cannot" she is a bit shouty. I also dislike her facial expressions and her vibrato is a bit annoying sometimes. But that's only my personal opinion.
Me: I understand that it's your opinion. (I'm a huge Rachelle fan) however I do respect people's opinions. Here's how I see it. Most actresses go for the crying and "Life isn't fair" approach to this song. Rachelle approaches it as "F*CK YOU I WANT/DESERVE A GOOD LIFE!" She is more angry sad then sad sad and that's why she may come across as shouty. I hope that made sense.
Them: I really think Rachelle's vocals aren't my personal taste but you're comment made me think about her interpretation, which is actually quite' interesting.

I paraphrased because there were some very rude comments from 2 other people. Anyway what I'm trying to say is it is possible to have civil arguments. I never called the person any names or say they were worthless. I was very nice and they returned the kindness. Even though I am an avid Rachelle Ann Go fan I didn't berate him. Everyone has their own tastes. We are all here for the same reason to love theatre.
NOTE: This rant doesn't just apply to theatre. Another very good example- Politics. Everyone wants the same goal and that is to be a better town, state, country whatever. Everyone has their own idea on what that is or how to get there. That doesn't mean you should berate someone else if they don't believe the same thing as you. It means that you should find a middle ground and work up.
NOTE 2: I'm gonna take a quote from Laura Benanti's dad which is geared toward women, but can really be applied to everyone.
If you think of life as a big giant wall. If you spend your time climbing it all the while trying to claw other women off of it. No one's ever gonna get up there. Just keep climbing get to the top and then reach down.

Sorry this post got very Kumbaya towards the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment