Saturday, June 11, 2016

Casting Goals: Mamma Mia

It's time for some change on this blog. This is a somewhat revised segment. It used to be called "I Dreamed a Dream" and it was about my dream casts for certain shows and I would explain why I thought certain people should play certain roles. This time it is going to be more short and to the point. I figured why don't we start off with a racially diverse Mamma Mia. Here goes...
Shanice Williams as Sophie Sheridan
(The WizThe Wiz Live)
Stephanie Mills as Donna Sheridan
(The Wiz, The Wiz Live, Children of Eden)






















I really want to see more of this mother-daughter dynamic that they have. It is amazing with how natural their chemistry is. They both have such beautiful voices. They're voices blend so well too. I would love to hear them duet on "Slipping Through My Fingers"
Queen Latifah as Rosie
(Chicago, Bessie, The Wiz Live)
Dolly Parton as Tanya
(9 to 5, Joyful Noise)






















I had a very difficult time casting these two characters. There are so many wonderful women who could portray these roles. Whenever I would think of Tanya I thought about Dolly Parton. Dolly is what I imagine Tanya would look like in real life. I am not trying to insult Dolly Parton in anyway. I love Dolly she is such an amazing woman. I think her southern voice would bring something unique to the role of Tanya. Queen Latifah would put a nice sassy twist on the role of Rosie plus it's Queen Latifah she can do no wrong.
Will Swenson as Sam Carmichael
(Les Miserables, Hair)
Jon Jon Briones as Hary Bright
(Miss Saigon)
Norm Lewis as Bill Austin
(Porgy and Bess, Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera)
These roles were also difficult to cast. These roles are absolutely crucial you have to believe that Donna would fall in love with all three of these men. The actress portraying Donna has to be able to fall in love with these three men. That is why I chose Will Swenson, Jon Jon Briones and Norm Lewis. All three of these men are such sweethearts and I would love to have anyone of these three be my potential dad if I were Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment