Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Unexpected Song: I'd Give My Life For You

In case you don't know I am a huge Miss Saigon fan! I absolutely love this show. I love the score, sets, actors, actresses, story, costumes and everything else. I am a huge fan of the 2014 West End Revival. Anyway before I have this huge long rant about why I love Miss Saigon let's just focus on this one song. "I'd Give My Life For You" is the act 1 finale of Miss Saigon. Kim sings this song to her son Tam. What I love about this song (as well as the role of Kim) is that it can be sung/interpreted so many different ways. You have Lea Salonga's (The original Kim on West End and Broadway) approach where she uses a more soft spoken voice when portraying Kim. Then you have Eva Noblezada's (The Kim in the 2014 West End Revival and upcoming 2017 Broadway Revival) where she uses her beautiful belt in the role of Kim and lets her voice fill up the theatre. This song is so beautiful and it is such a meaningful song.

Eva Noblezada- Performed this song at the Olivier Awards. I think Cameron did this as sort of a "Fuck You" to the voters for snubbing Eva for a nomination. Let me remind you that she has so much emotion in this song for it being performed at the Olivier Awards. Few actors can do that and have this much emotion.  Just saying that Eva is a gem.


Heeya Kim performed the role of Kim in Miss Saigon at The Broadway Theatre of Pitman. I had the great opportunity of seeing her perform. She was absolutely amazing and this video does not do her justice. She is an amazing actress. Her portrayal of Kim was just mesmerizing. She brought something to this role. I can't put my finger on it but she brought something new to this role and it was beautiful. She was beautiful. I hope we see more of her soon. I personally would like to see her continue on the Miss Saigon road. Fun fact: This was her first production EVER. As in this is the first time she has ever done theatre!


Lea Salonga (West End, Broadway, Manila) Here Is Lea performing the song at her concert The Legends and the Classics Encore. This isn't her singing it as a lullaby like I had hoped, but I can't find the video of her singing it that way anywhere.


Rachelle Ann Go was one of the 5 women to be considered for the role of Kim. She was eventually given the role of Gigi in the 2014 West End Revival. She sang this song for close friends and family. I hope she one day portrays Kim. I would love to see that. Especially after seeing how much she has grown throughout her whole experience in the West End.


Tanya Manalang (The Kim Alternate in the 2014 West End Revival) sings this song at a concert of sorts. I don't know much about Miss Manalang, but she has such a beautiful voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment