Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Dreamed a Dream: Funny Girl

Funny Girl is a classic musical. It is such a beauty and a rare gem. It has never been revived once, because everyone knew critics would just compare the new lead to Barbra, but let me tell you something. The show is not Funny Girl: The Life of Barbra Streisand it's called Funny Girl: The Life of Fanny Brice (Okay, that's not really the title but you know what I mean) Yes, Barbra created the role and yes she was nominated for a Tony for it and yes she did go on to play the role in the movie and she did win the Oscar for it, but just because she did all that does not mean it's her role. The reason why the role is so closely related to her is because she put her own mark on the role! (Another famous example of this is Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music) And don't get me wrong Barbra did an amazing job with that role, but once again she made it her own. I absolutely hate it when people copy what she does breath for breath when they perform in that role. *Cough* *Cough* Lea Michele^ *Cough* *Cough* Anyway, I'm getting off track. Funny Girl is a classic musical and I have these 3 amazing women who would have been perfect for the role, but they're unfortunately to old now^^ Ok, let me just put the cast list down before I get completely off topic and start talking about my Desperate Housewives obsession.

Christina Bianco as Fanny Brice (She is extremely talented and she is so funny! Bianco would bring such a unique trait to this role that is nothing like Barbra. She just has that thing Barbra had when she was Fanny. Bianco is probably the smartest choice for this role. She would put her own mark on this role and she wouldn't copy Barbra in the slightest, but we all know she can copy Barbra exactly.)

Michael C. Hall as Nick Arnstein (I think his voice would be very unique to hear in this role. And it's definitely unlike any of his other roles^^^ and it would be very interesting, a good interesting, to see how he would pull off this role.)

Bebe Neuwirth as Rose Brice (Bebe brings this sexy, dry wit to every single one of her roles.Rose isn't one of those type of characters, but I think Neuwirth would be able to pull it off. Bebe is still funny as hell and would be great.)

Paul Schoeffler as Florenz Ziegfeld (I saw him perform twice in my life. The first time when I was about 5, I saw him as Captain Hook/ Mr. Darling in Peter Pan and I also saw him this October as Franklin Hart in 9 to 5. He can do physical comedy, character comedy, talking comedy [I don't know if that's a thing, it's where they just deliver the lines in a haha funny way], and he can definetly do the stern comedy [Where you are like that one stern person who delivers his lines and it's so funny, just because it's so stern, do you catch my drift?] I think it would be interesting to see him in this role.)

Jeremy Jordan as Eddie Ryan (I just see him in this role, I don't know why. I just see him in this role)

Jackie Hoffman as Mrs. Strakosh (Jackie would be hilarious in this role! She's so funny herself and would just be incredible with this character!)

^Yes, I don't like Lea Michele. I think she is talented I will give her that (When she doesn't auto-tune her voice or make weird faces) But she could never pull off Fanny Brice, she would just copy Barbra. Did you see her perform "I'm the Greatest Star" with that wig! She was playing Barbra Streisand not Fanny Brice. She copied Barbra's actions move for move. It made me want to stab my eyes with a cow horn.

^^ 1. Sherie Renee Scott (That would have been amazing to see)
2. Idina Menzel (There were rumors about this happening after Rent but before Wicked, but it never took off)
3. Sutton Foster (She would have been amazing in this role and would have won a Tony)

^^^Hedwig in Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Emcee in Cabaret

No comments:

Post a Comment