Sunday, November 2, 2014

I Dreamed A Dream: Gypsy

Movie
Mama Rose: Meryl Streep (Please, nobody even argue! She is amazing and I love her. We all know that her voice is amazing, and if her "Winner Takes it All" isn't any indication of how amazing she will be, go and see in her next performance as The Witch in Into The Woods. Oh my god! I just got chills imagining her "Rose's Turn")
Louise: Anne Hathaway (I originally had my doubts about her in Les Miserables, but she blew me away, she actually made me shed one tear during "I Dreamed a Dream" and I have never cried during a movie before or during a show or anything, I haven't even teared up. The fact that she made me shed one tear is powerful!)
Dainty June: Megan Hilty (Ok, we all know she is amazing and we are all waiting for her to play Marilyn Monroe when Bombshell comes to Broadway, but her Dainty June would be hilarious!)
Herbie: Joel Grey (Ok, I'm not much of a fan of Joel Grey myself, I think he's a talented actor and he does an amazing job. I think his Herbie would be so cute and adorable and him and Meryl would work their asses off together they would be up till like 4am just perfecting how they blink their eyes in character. But really though, we know it's true.)
Mazeppa: Nikki Blonsky (We all saw, and loved, her in Hairspray as Tracy Turnblad, I personally think she was so much better [Hehe, unintentional theater reference] than Marissa Jaret Winokur. I think she would make an awesome Mazeppa and be drop dead hilarious!)
Tessie Tura: Annaleigh Ashford (We all know she is hilarious her credits include Legally Blonde [Margot, u/s Elle and she even went on for Elle once], Kinky Boots [Lauren which she received her first Tony Nomination for and rave reviews], Wicked [G{A}linda which she was amazing in, You Can't Take It With You [Essie Carmichael, which she also received rave reviews for and I see another Tony Nomination for.], she also took place in countless readings for Heathers: The Musical, Carrie (Revival), The Addams Family. She is so funny!)
Revival
Mama Rose: Jennifer Hudson (Now, don't give me none of that crap "She's black she can't do it, Mama Rose is white" tell that to Leslie Uggams and we all know what an amazing singing voice she has. I don't even need to say how amazing she would be. If you don't believe, go to Youtube and type in "Jennifer Hudson Dreamgirls" and prepare to be amazed!)
Louise: Raven Symonè (People say she's horrible and she can't act and blah, blah, blah, but I think she is incredibly talented and very, very humble. I think she would bring this very unique heartbreak to Louise and for her singing voice is so awesome. Also most people don't know she was considered for Effie White during the film adaption of Dreamgirls.)
Dainty June: I honestly can't think of any one, well the only people I can think of are white and I hate when shows aren't realistic, when they have like a black mother with an albino child and they say "Oh no this child came out of my womb." or like in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at Avery Fisher Hall in 2014 where Audra McDonald played The Old Beggar Woman, but when Mrs. Lovett sings "Poor Thing" they use a white woman as Lucy Barker and then also Joanna is played by a full on white girl, overall I loved that production, but I was like what?
Herbie: Billy Porter (I love him! He won a Tony for Kinky Boots when he was (And still is) Lola. He is amazing and I think he would just bring this authenticity to Herbie, not that the character isn't authentic, but I feel like he would just put a new and different take on Herbie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment